Tuesday, August 12, 2008

More Mykonos

A very windy week in Mykonos staying at the Geranium Town Suites. The highlight of the trip was KiKi's Taverna at Agios Sostis Beach. Delicious salads and freshly grilled Calamari/Shrimp. We ate there 3 times! On our third to last day, i decided to check and see what was going on with our return flight. Lo and behold, our flight was canceled due to the strike! I scrambled to find alternative flights when internet service on the entire island went down due to heavy winds. It was time to pull out old reliable.....the iphone! I have learned that the Greeks will bend over backwards NOT to help you so I had no choice but to call the US reservation desk. Several hundred dollars later, I had us booked on Air New Zealand to LAX via London. Me in Business class and Vince in Coach with no hopes of getting upgraded. Finally on our last day, internet service was back up and I found him a Lufthansa flight via Newark which we later confirmed him on at Athens airport.

We flew back to Athens on Aegean airlines and overnighted at the beautiful Athens Hilton. Our room had an unobstructed view of the Acropolis. We dined at the rooftop restaurant which was lovely and where the food was lackluster at best. Vince and I left Ed in the room at 4 am as we taxied our way back to the Athens airport for our 6 am flight to Frankfurt. In Frankfurt, Vince's upgrade cleared (sigh!) and I proceeded onto my flight to London. Vince spent the night in NYC with his friends and I got to experience Business class on Air New Zealand. What a treat! After experiencing the Star Alliance lounge at Heathrow's terminal 1 , sampling nibbly bits and showering, we boarded the flight to LAX. The seats are angled, so they are truly lie flat seats! I ate everything they put in front of me and sampled several wines from their extensive New Zealand wine list which included more than a dozen wines. I watched "Lars and the Real Girl" and "Caramel" on my very large personal screen and took many cat naps in between. An hour before landing, they served us finger sandwiches and a scone with real clotted cream and jam!

Vince flew back to LA on UA from Newark the next day. I can't wait to experience Air New Zealand again...oh I forgot to mention that I got miles for the Air New Zealand flight even though I used miles!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn you and your miles. So jealous! Have you considered writing a book on how to work the system ;)

Now I'm inspired to try to arrange an upgrade for my next trip to Paris (SO over coach.)

Love the photos! xo dani

Ktron said...

What would I call it? Diaries of a mileage whore? Coach is so yesterday....Maybe some day i'll have enough entriees on my blog to turn it into a book.

Anonymous said...

Copyright infringement
Cease and desist