Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Million Points Away


























The first trip I started planning with my million points was one I had been dreaming about for 20 years, The Maldives. Of course, this dream trip would include travel in First Class Suites on Singapore airlines. I had drunk booked a three night stay at the New Park Hyatt Hadahaa in the Maldives for Thanksgiving using Mr. M’s Hyatt points, not realizing that it was non-refundable. So accommodations were taken care of.

I unsuccessfully searched the Singapore Airline website for a roundtrip ticket in First Class using miles. I ended up calling them and was told that someone would be calling me back from Singapore to make the arrangement. How fancy, I thought. Several missed calls later; I finally connected with an agent.

Agent: I understand you are trying to use miles to travel to Singapore in a First Class Suite?

Me: Why, yes I am

Agent: That would cost 500,000 miles each way; you might want to consider Business Class

Me: (Speechless!)

I ended up booking an itinerary that included business class seats on All Nippon Airlines, Singapore and United.

The day before departure, I was able to secure two First Class seats on ANA for our return. A very rare occurrence that I would look forward to during the trip.

No comments: